Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Jim and Lavina named in Will of Jesse Booles

This post is part of an ongoing project to record names of enslaved people of Greene County, Georgia I find in historical records. 

Greene County, Georgia

In the name of God, Amen, I, Jesse Booles of the above county and state, being reduced low by illness and viewing life as uncertain, but being of sound mind and memory, do make and constitute this my last will and testament, viz:

Item 1st. I will that all my lands, together with my stock and all other of my property not hereinafter disposed of, be sold, and from the proceeds thereof all my just debts be paid.

Item 2nd. I will to my beloved wife Sarah one negro man by the name of Jim and one negro woman Lavina, together with her increase; two beds, bedsteads and furniture; one set of walnut tables and one pine cupboard during her lifetime or widowhood, and upon her death or marriage to be equally divided between my children Emily J. Bowls, Nancy F. Fuller, Seaborn W. Bowls, and one‑fourth part to Delilah H. Barnwell, to be managed as herein after directed.

Item 3rd. I will to my daughter Emily J. Bowls one bed, bedstead and furniture and fifty dollars.

Item 4th. I will to my son Seaborn W. Bowls one bed, bedstead and furniture and fifty dollars, and the expenses of one year’s schooling at a good country school.

Item 5th. I will to my daughter Delilah H. Barnwell one‑fourth part of my estate not heretofore disposed of, to be held in trust by my executors for the aforesaid Delilah and that she have all the interest and benefits arising from the same during her natural lifetime; and at her death, if she has no heirs of her body, to return to the rest of my children or their legal representatives, but provided she shall have a surviving child or children, it shall be equally divided between the same.

Item 6th. I will that the other three‑fourths of my estate be equally divided between my children Emily J. Bowls, Nancy F. Fuller, and Seaborn W. Bowls.

Item 7th. I will that my executors have power to make such division. By a division of my negroes or by a sale of the same, which in their wisdom they may conceive most advantageous to my legatees.

Item 8th. I constitute and appoint Thomas C. Janes and Bivin Bowls my lawful executors to this my last will and testament to execute the same according to the tenure thereof.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this seventh of March eighteen hundred and twenty‑six.

Signed and sealed in presence of:

Francis West
Thos. Moseley
Jno. Wilson

Jesse Booles (Seal)


Reference

Jesse Booles, Georgia, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1742–1992.

No comments:

Post a Comment