Friday, January 6, 2017

Jackson china crock (or perhaps a sugar bowl)

This crock, or sugar bowl (I’m not sure which), is restaurant ware china that once belonged to my great-grandmother Elizabeth (Jones) Burnette. Oddly enough, it came into my possession via my in-laws. They were planning a trip through Atlanta and decided to stop and visit my Daddy while there. I remember telling them to bring me something back, not expecting anything. Lo and behold, they brought this crock back to me saying “this is from your Daddy.” Inside the crock was a note handwritten by my father-in-law:
Sam’s Grandmother
Elizabeth Jones Bernette—came from her mother who was a Jones

The neutral colored crock is small and very heavy. Both the lid and bowl have two thin green lines around them. The handles on the bowl are faces. It is well-worn and has chips on both the lid and bowl. The stamp on the base reads:
Jackson China
Made for J. Bornstein & Sons
Seattle



Jackson China manufactured hotel/restaurant ware china¹ in Falls Creek, Pennsylvania. J. Bornstein & Sons was a wholesale notions house located at 562 First Avenue in Seattle, Washington² in the early 1900s.

My great-grandmother, Elizabeth (Jones) Burnette, was the daughter of Henry Clayborn Jones Sr. and Sarah Elizabeth Tuck. She was born October 21, 1872 in Loganville, Walton County, Georgia. She died in Greensboro, Greene County, Georgia on December 2, 1956. Unfortunately, I never knew her. Assuming the crock passed from her to my grandmother Floria Burnette Lankford, that would mean I’m at least the fourth generation to possess it.

Thomas Terrell Burnette family (ca. 1908).
My great-grandmother, Elizabeth (Jones) Burnette with her husband and children.
My grandmother, Floria Mae (Burnette) Lankford is standing to the left, behind her mother.
_______________________

1. Brick and Clay Record, vol. 59, Industrial Publications, Inc., copyright 1921.
2. The Seattle Star, Seattle, Washington, April 21, 1917.

No comments:

Post a Comment