Thomas “Tom” Glenn Holland, son of William Charles “Charlie” Holland and Sarah Elizabeth Wheat, was born in Georgia on August 18, 1902. He was the oldest of two children, himself and a younger sister named Mary Evelyn Holland. Tom is my 1st cousin 2x removed. Our nearest common relatives are Leroy Thomas Holland and Amanda Elizabeth Scott.
On April 19, 1910, Tom and his family lived with his widowed maternal grandfather Samuel H. Wheat and his aunt Susan J. Wheat at Barroner and Phenie Roads in the 10th Militia District of Murray County, Georgia. The census enumerator didn’t note what his grandfather did for a living, just that he made his own income. Tom’s father was a farmer on a general farm. His parents had been married for nine years. Tom and Mary, ages 7 and 6 respectively, both attended school but were unable to read and write. Tom’s grandfather Wheat passed away on December 3, 1915 and was buried at Wheat Cemetery in Murray County.
On January 10, 1920, Tom and his family lived on Dalton Road in the 10th District of Murray County, Georgia. Tom’s aunt Susan, enumerated as Susie, still lived with the family. His father was a farmer on a general farm, while Tom worked as a farm laborer on the home farm. Both Tom and his sister Mary were in school and now able to read and write.
Tom married Eva “Kathleen” Richards, daughter of Warren Barrett Richards and Lillie Lieuraney Coffey, about 1928, probably in Murray County. She was 15. Like his parents, there was a 10-year age difference between 25-year-old Tom and 15-year-old Kathleen.
Tom Holland and his wife Kathleen
On April 15, 1930, Tom and Kathleen lived on Beaverdale Road with his parents, sister Mary, and aunt Susie in the 10th District of Murray County. Both Tom and his father farmed for a living. They lived next door to Kathleen’s family.
Tom’s sister Mary Holland Ridley died in Murray County on March 4, 1940. The census enumerator visited Tom’s home in the 10th District of Murray County on April 8, 1940 and found Mary’s three-year-old daughter Sarah Ruth Ridley living in the home, enumerated as Tom’s niece. The tables had turned in the past 10 years and Tom’s parents now lived with him and Kathleen. The house was valued at $300 and they owned a radio. Tom was farming but it seems his father may have retired as there was no occupation listed for him.
|Tom and his family in the 1940 census. Sarah is enumerated as his niece.|
(click to enlarge)
Although Mary Holland Ridley’s husband, Henry Killian Ridley, lived until 1975, it’s not known why he didn’t have custody of Sarah who was raised by Tom and Kathleen. Henry lived in Detroit, Michigan in 1942. It’s also not known if Tom and Kathleen adopted Sarah. Tom and Kathleen were listed as Sarah’s parents in her 2020 obituary.
Tom’s father died at his home near Beaverdale on June 16, 1940. His mother died in Murray County on July 27, 1942. Both were buried at Sumach Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery in Crandal, Murray County, Georgia.
Tom died at age 79 in Crandall on June 24, 1982. He was buried at Sumach Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery in Crandall.
Photo by Kari
- Barrett Richards and Miss Lillie Coffey, Marriage Certificate, State of Georgia, Murray County.
- Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com: accessed 20 February 2021), memorial page for Samuel H. Wheat (11 Oct 1833–3 Dec 1915), Find a Grave Memorial no. 70199430, citing Wheat Cemetery, Murray County, Georgia, USA; maintained by Laurie Wilson (contributor 47098859).
- Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com: accessed 20 February 2021), memorial page for Lillie Lieuraney Coffey Richards (29 Nov 1881–1 Aug 1969), Find a Grave Memorial no. 28972402, citing Sumach Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery, Crandall, Murray County, Georgia, USA; maintained by William Thomas “Tommy” Parkman, Jr. (contributor 47584188).
- Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com: accessed 20 February 2021), memorial page for Warren Barrett Richards (28 Apr 1882–19 Oct 1951), Find a Grave Memorial no. 28972446, citing Sumach Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery, Crandall, Murray County, Georgia, USA; maintained by William Thomas “Tommy” Parkman, Jr. (contributor 47584188).
- Henry Killian Ridley, U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942.
- Obituary, Sarah Ruth Crump, Peeples Funeral Home and Crematory, 2020; https://www.peeplesfuneralhome.net/obituary/sarah-crump.
- Tom G. Holland, Georgia Deaths, 1919-98.
- Tom Holland, U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014.
- U.S. Federal Census, Militia District 10, Murray County, Georgia, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.