Friday, December 15, 2017

Murphy Santa Letters

Pat Murphy
I don’t want to cheat the Murphy side of the family out of its Santa letters so will share three I found in my late mother-in-law’s belongings.

Two are form letters sent from Santa to my husband Charlie and one of his siblings. The one to Charlie was sent via Reindeer Mail and was addressed to Mr. Charles Murphy of Monongah, West Virginia. By the way, the writing looks awfully similar to his Dad’s handwriting.

The third letter was written to Santa by my brother-in-law Pat Murphy. He writes that he’s six years old (although it looks like he wrote an eight first) so the letter would have been written in 1968. It reads:
Dear Santa,
My name is Pat. I am 6 years old. I would like a football suit and a ball, a talking Smokey Bear, a Saint Bernard dog, mail bag blocks, pop-up box, hop-hop, magic chest, phono-projector, popcorn machine, 11 games in all, boxing gloves, Battleship, robots, tool box, Dr. Kit, Knight, Green Hornet, farm set, guitar, marine, holster and rifle, canteen, Disney land, cavalry set, commander set. Thank you.
Patrick Murphy
I feel pretty certain that Santa didn’t bring him everything he wanted that year!




No comments:

Post a Comment