Friday, May 7, 2021

Vintage Soap Dish

One of the few items I have that can connect me to my past is this vintage soap dish. Well before being diagnosed with dementia, Daddy started passing his treasures on to his five children. It may have been something you expressed interest in at some point or something he just wanted you to have. Daddy happily passed his possessions on, that way he knew they had a home and would be taken care of after he was gone. I can’t speak for my siblings, but Daddy often shared the history of the item he gave me, particularly if it was a family heirloom. Early on, I didn’t have sense enough to document what he told me so unfortunately, don’t remember the history of this dish. I do, however, remember it sitting on the counter by the kitchen sink of the Atlanta house I grew up in.

I’ve kept the dish on my bedroom dresser for years until recently moving it to the living room. The dish is china, a small oval measuring 5 ¾ x 4 ½, and has four dogwood blossoms in the bowl. “Ivory Lamberton Sterling” is stamped on the bottom. It’s in good condition, with no visible chips or cracks, however, does have rust spots in the bowl so must have a hairline crack somewhere.

I don’t know if it has any monetary value, if so, I doubt its much. A quick google search tells me maybe $8 to $10. But that really doesn’t matter, it’s a family treasure to me.

2 comments:

  1. I treasure the family items I have. I've begun passing some one now, but one child not that interested, so hope her children are. I know one is kinda a rat pack like me, so I know she'll want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, hopefully your grandchildren will be interested, although it may take a while. Thanks for reading.

      Delete