Friday, July 22, 2022

Slaves named in the Will of Thomas Gresham Janes

Thomas Gresham Janes, son of William Janes IV and Selah Gresham, was born July 11, 1794. He married three times—first to Malinda P. W. West on January 30, 1821, second to Emily T. West (sister to Malinda) on January 17, 1828, and third to Elizabeth P. Sanford on July 26, 1839, all in Greene County, Georgia. It appears Thomas had six children—Mary Selah Janes, Athalia E. Janes, George V. Janes, Susan E. Janes, Sarah J. T. Janes, and William F. Janes. He only names five in his will. Unfortunately, I don’t know which wife the children belong to at this time. 

According to the book History of Greene County, Georgia, 1876–1886 by Rice and Williams, Thomas was a physician in Greene County and “represented Greene Co. in the legislature in 1827-28, 34-35 and was Senator in 1836-37-38. He was one of the first Trustees of Mercer University.”

Thomas died in Greene County on September 14, 1843. My DNA results show he is my 4th great uncle. His brother was Absalom Madison Janes.

His will lists the names of 52 enslaved people.

Thomas G. Janes’ Will

Sept. adj. Term 1843

Green Court of Ordinary

Admitted to Record on the oaths of B. M. Sanders and P. H. Mell

Recorded in book G—Pages-10-11-12. 13-

28 September 1843.

Wm. L. Strain, Clk.


Green Court of Ordinary

Sept. adj. Term 1843

Personally appeared in open Court B. M. Sanders and P. H. Mell, two of the subscribing witnesses to the within last Will and Testament of Thomas G. Janes deceased, who being duly sworn say that they saw the within named Thomas G. Janes, sign, seal and heard him acknowledge the same to be his last Will and Testament, and that they each believed him to be of perfect sound mind and memory at the time of his signing the same—and that they together with W. H. Stokes, subscribed their names as witnesses thereto in the presence of the Testator.

B. M. Sanders

P. H. Mell

Sworn to and subscribed in open court this 27 September 1843. 

W. L. Strain, Clk.


State of Georgia, Greene County

In the name of God, amen, I, Thomas G. Janes, of the county and state aforesaid being of sound mind and memory, do make this my last will and testament.

Item 1st. It is my will and desire that all my just debts be paid.

2nd. I bequeath to my beloved wife Elizabeth P. Janes five hundred dollars in money, and the land and premises whereon I now reside together with all the household and kitchen furniture (with the provision that she be bound to furnish my three children (viz.) Susan E., George V., and Athaliah E. Janes, a bed stead and furniture with forty dollars each) my son William F. and Sarah J. T. having received theirs) also I give to my said beloved wife, all the plantation tools, four wheeled pleasure carriage and carriage horses, the two horse wagon and harnesses, six choice cows and yearlings, thirty choice stock hogs, four choice sows and pigs, all my stock of sheep and geese, also my family bible, hymn books and such other family books as she may choose. I also give to my said beloved wife the following named negroes (viz.) Mariah, a woman and her children Franklin and Sophy, with her increase, a negro man, Jesse and Fanny his wife and her increase, all the abovenamed property both real and personal to belong to my said beloved wife forever in fee simple. It is further my will that my beforesaid, beloved wife, whenever I may die shall have an ample supply of corn, fodder, pork or bacon, wheat, oats to support her and her negroes and stock during the next year following.

3rd. As it is probable that my said beloved wife Elizabeth P. Janes is in a state of pregnancy, I will to my said wife during her lifetime four other negroes (viz.) Len, a boy, Smith, a boy, Rosette and Queen, girls and their increase, but if my said wife should have a living child of her present probable pregnancy, the four last named negroes to belong to said child after the death of my said wife, but if there should be no living child or if such child should die in infancy, the said four negroes to belong to my said wife in her own right forever.

4th. It is my will, that if my said wife should have a living child from her present probable pregnancy, I will to said child, six negroes (viz.) Aron, a boy, Charlotte, Antinette, Isabella, Celin Ann, and Eliza and their increase (they being the children of Jesse and Fanny) but if no living child should be brought forth, or if such child should die in infancy, then and in that case the last six named negroes and their increase, to revert to and belong to my estate to be equally divided, share and share alike between my five other children, my said wife, having no part in them.

5th. I will to the child my said beloved wife may have, if her present probable pregnancy, five hundred dollars in money, ten share of the stock of the Georgia Rail Road and Banking company, and also the tract of land lying and being in this county on the entry of Richland Creek containing about seven hundred acres, called the Mill tract, adjoining Tarpley, Carlton and others, but if no living child should be brought forth or if such child should die in infancy then and in that case, the said money to wit five hundred dollars, the ten shares of stock of the Georgia Rail Road and Banking Company and the same seven hundred acres of land, to revert to and become a part of my estate and be equally divided share and share alike between my five other children, my said wife having no share or part thereof.

6th. It is my will that my Executor, herein after named, shall have full power and authority to rent, lease or sell the same mile tract of land, bequeathed in the 5th item, at their discretion whenever they may deem it for the interest of the estate in any time in fifteen years.

7th. I will to the eldest son William F. Janes, one bed and furniture one desk and book case, together with all my books, excepting those given to my beloved wife, also eight negroes (viz.) John Fitch, and Beddy his wife and her infant child and Miller, Berry, Rachel, Sally and Emily (all the children of John Fitch and Beddy) and their increase. Also, I will to my said son William F. the tract of land he now is improving in Paulding County, Georgia, lying in the second district of the fourth section consisting of numbers 888, 889, 890, 838, 839, 840, 817, 767, 769, and one third of number 768 – containing in all three hundred and seventy three and a third (373 1/3) acres more or less, also three acres of number 990, including the house and improvements where he now lives, together with privilege of water of the spring on said lot. 

8th. I will to my daughter Sarah J. T. Gibson, 1 bed and furniture one bureau, one horse, and all the property heretofore given her and six negroes (viz.) Betty and her five children, Daniel, Harry, Eve, Silsy, and Rebekah and their increase, and also, she may take a settlement of land at the Deason place, or lots number 849 of the 2nd district 4th Section and lands connected therewith lying to the Ninth West including the Scott place, to be laid off by my Executors in such a way as not to injure the realm of my other lands – all lying in Paulding County, Georgia. Also, I will to my said daughter three acres of number 990 – wherever she may see proper to locate it, for the purpose of building, together with privilege of water of the spring on said lot.

9th. It is my will that the property of every description willed to my son William F. Janes and Sarah J. T. Gibson be valued by persons appointed by the court of ordinary (excepting the Books within to my son William F.) and accounted for in the division of my estate between them and three other children Susan E. Janes, George V. Janes, and Athaliah E. Janes.

10th. It is my will and desire that all the negroes I may die papered of, not otherwise bequeathed in this my will, to be equally divided, share and share alike between my five children William F. Janes, Sarah J. T. Gibson, Susan E. Janes, George V. Janes and Athaliah E. Janes, William F. and Sarah J. T. accounting for three negroes willed them. The negroes of the three minor children, Susan E., George V. and Athaliah E. to be kept in common stock and each of them to receive their part when each shall arrive at lawful age or get married.

11th. It is my will that my executors, herein after named have full power and authority to sell any and all lands I may die papered of, besides there herein bequeathed, and excepting the lands I own in Second district fourth section originally Cherokee now Paulding County, in whatever parcels, and such credits and at such time, as they may deem most to the interest of my estate, within ten years.

12th. It is my will and desire that my executors herein after named and I do hereby authorize them to purchase for the benefit of my estate and lots of land in Cedar Dally Paulding County, Georgia, that they may think necessary and important to improve the realm of the settlements of land I own in said really – 

13th. It is my will and desire that whenever either of my three minor children, Susan E., George W. or Athaliah E. Janes, arrives at lawful age or marries, that person be appointed by the court and assign to such one as aforesaid, a settlement of land in Cedar Dally, Paulding County, similar to the tracts willed to my two eldest children, William F. and Sarah J. T. realized at the same rates as those given the two elder, or nearly as practicable, to be accounted for in the settlement between the legatees.

14th. It is my will that my executors have power and authority, to lease, rent, or sell my interest (it being one third part) of the land and mills on Cedar Creek, Paulding County, upon such time as they may deem to the interest of my estate (the other parts owned by William E. and George W. West).

15th. It is my will that my executors keep up the farm in Paulding County, now managed by Mark Jackson for me according to the written agreement between said Jackson and myself by contract with him or some other person so long as they may deem it for the interest of my estate.

16th. It is my will and desire that my Executors be required to be at all expenses necessary to give to my nephew Thomas Janes, son of Archibald G. Janes, a good English education, either at Penfield, Cedar Dally, or Cave Spring and if my said nephew should bid far in their judgement to make a good scholar, they be required to give him a classical education, causing him to graduate at Penfield.

17th. I will my silver watch to my son George V. Janes.

18th. It is my will and desire that all my property both real and personal not herein addressed bequeathed be equally divided share and share alike between my five children, William F., Sarah J. T., Susan E., George V. and Athaliah E.

19th. I do hereby constitute and appoint my son William F. Janes, my son in law Henry A. Gibson, and George W. West of Paulding County and Absalom Janes of Greene County, executors to this my last will and testament, in [unreadable] and ratifications of which I the same Thomas G. Janes hath hereunto set my hand and seal this the twenty eighth day of February A.D. One-thousand and eight hundred and forty three.

Thos. G. Janes


Signed sealed and executed in presence of B. M. Sanders, Wm. H. Stokes, P. H. Mell



Inventory & appraisement of the estate of Thomas G. Janes, deceased

Page 1
State of Georgia, Greene County

No. 1. Maria, a negro woman, valued at $400.00
2. Franklin,  "  boy   "   "   $200.00
3. Sophy,  "  girl   "   "   $150.00
4. Crawford,  "  boy   "   "   $100.00
5. Jesse,  "  man   "   "   $300.00
6. Fanny,  "  woman   "   "   $275.00
7. Len,  "  man   "   "   $500.00
8. Smith,  "  boy   "   "   $100.00
9. Rosetta,  "  girl   "   "   $350.00
10. Queen,  "   "   "   "   $150.00
11. Aron,  "  boy   "   "   $350.00
12. Charlotte,  "  girl   "   "   $350.00
13. Antonett,  "   "   "   "   $250.00
14. Isabella,  "   "   "   "   $250.00
15. Colia,  "   "   "   "   $175.00
16. Eliza,  "   "   "   "   $150.00
17. Jim,  "  man   "   "   $550.00
18. Lucy,  "  woman   "   "   $350.00
19. Stephen,  "  boy   "   "   $300.00
20. Dave,  "  boy   "   "   $275.00
21. Nelson,  "   "   "   "   $250.00
22. Elleck,  "   "   "   "   $200.00
23. Betty,  "  girl   "   "   $150.00
24. Bill,  "  boy   "   "   $125.00
25. Big Lucy,  "  woman   "   "   $400.00
26. Sibba,  "  girl   "   "   $175.00
27. James,  "  boy   "   "   $135.00
28. Maria,  "  woman   "   "   $300.00
29. Harriet,  "  girl   "   "   $400.00
30. Martha,  "   "   "   "   $350.00
31. Adeline,  "   "   "   "   $225.00
Amount Carried Forward $8225.00


Partial snip of Inventory and Appraisement, page 1 (click to enlarge)

Inventory & appraisement of the estate of Thomas G. Janes, continued

Page 2
Amount brt forward -- $8225.00
No. 32 Minerva, a negro girl, valued at $200.00
33. Ellen,   "   "   "   "   $100.00
34. John,   "   man   "   "   $200.00
35. Anna,   "   woman   "   "   $400.00
36. Lizzy,   "   girl   "   "   $350.00
37. Sandy,   "   man   "   "   $400.00
38. Phill,   "   "   "   "   $25.00
39. Mary,   "   woman   "   "   $350.00
30 head of cattle - $135.00
1 yoke oxen $25, 6 cows & yearlings, $60 - $85.00
100 head of Hogs $250, 4 sows & pigs, $20 - $270.00
1 cotton gin $50, 1 Thrashing Machine 50 cts. - $50.50
4 bales cotton - $80.00
1 lot wheat - $16.00
6 stacks oats $30, 6 sheep $9 - $39.00
3 Geese 75 cts., one horse wagon $2 - $2.75
1 Redd Waggon $28, two horse waggon $75.00 - $103.00
1 pleasure Carriage & harness - $125.00
Blacksmiths tools $10, Iron $11 - $21.00
Weeding hose, mattocks & fro---  - $3.00
1 log chain $2, 1 lot plough & cli??? $5 - $7.00
1 lot axes $2, 1 lot tools $1 - $3.00
1 lot spades & shovels $3, 1 lot Gil & pant $2 - $5.00
1 lot of medicines & Jan - $5.00
1 barrel linen $2, 1 Thermometer & Barometer $1.50 - $3.50
1 lot of family books $10, 1 lot of Books $100 - $110.00
1 desk & book case $30, 1 pr. saddle bags $1 - $31.00
1 man saddle $5 - $5.00
1 lot Household furniture - $500.00
1 lot Kitchen furniture - $20.00
2 shot guns $10, Surgical instruments $25 - $35.00
1 lot mea???? 25 cts. - $.25
Amount carried forward - $12,355.00


Partial snip of Inventory and Appraisement, page 2 (click to enlarge)

There are Paulding County, Georgia records to explore but because I'm concentrating on Greene County, I won't include here. 

References

  • Rice, Dr. Thaddeus Brockett Rice and Carolyn White Williams, History of Greene County, Georgia, 1876–1886, 1961.
  • Thomas G. Janes, Georgia, U.S., Marriage Records from Select Counties, 1828–1978.
  • Thomas G. Janes, Georgia, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1742–1992.

No comments:

Post a Comment