Friday, November 4, 2022

Postcards from the past

My sister and I were sitting at the dining room table last week, me on my computer as usual and she working on her stamp collection, when she pulled two postcards out of a box. While showing us the stamps on the postcards, she mentioned not knowing who the writer and recipient were. She also mentioned that our Mama had given them to her. Both postcards were addressed to Mrs. E. F. Steward and signed with initials only—E.F.S. I immediately knew they were written to my Granny, Daisy Lee Shields, by her husband, Edward Finnus Steward, whom was a recent subject of one of my blog posts. 

Both postcards were addressed the same:

Mrs. E. F. Steward
Tunnel Hill Ga.
R.#.1.

Edward was apparently traveling from north Georgia to California in search of work. To the best of my knowledge, Granny never lived in California so I suspect his search was unsuccessful.



8/24/50 Yuma, Arizona

Hello babe O.K. I hope. I’m well and going farther west. I will write again soon. By. E.F.S.


8/25/50 San Diego, Calif.

Dear one, arrived here this morning have looked for work all day. May get a job soon but not for shure as yet. I hope all is well. I will as well get a room in a hotel for the night. I shure hope I can rest. Will try find a place to stay so can hear from you. Don’t worry about me. I will write a letter soon. By for now. Be sweet. E.F.S.

Census records show Granny and Edward lived in Catoosa County, Georgia in April 1950 and Tunnel Hill is part of Catoosa County (and Whitfield County) which tracks with the paper trail. 

It’s always fun to get these small glimpses into our ancestors’ lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment