Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Will of Augustin Greene - 11 slaves named

This post is part of an ongoing project to record names of enslaved people of Greene County, Georgia I find in historical records.

Augustin Greenes Will 

I, Augustin Greene of the county of Greene and State of Georgia, being sick and may not recover but being of sound mind and memory and calling to mind that it is ordained of all men once to die, do make this my last Will and testament revoking all others.

Item 1st. It is my will that all my just debts should be paid.

Item 2nd. It is my will that all my landed estate should be sold together with my stock of every kind plantation tools, kitchen furniture, and household furniture except so much as my wife Nancy may select for her own use.

Item 3rd. I give to my wife Nancy during her natural life the following negroes, namely Vinee a woman, Jim Watts, a man, Lewis a man, Lavinda a girl, little Caroline a girl, Ransom a man.

Item 4th. It is my will Zion a man, Kitty a woman, Jacob a boy should be sold to buy my wife Nancy a small plantation on town lot as she may chose.

Item 5th. It is my will that after the death of my wife Nancy, that all the property in her possession consisting of land, or town lot, as the case may be, negroes, household, and kitchen furniture, stock of all kinds, and farming utensils, shall be sold and divided in order to affect a division between my daughters, Susan Amorette, Ann H. Judson, and the heirs of Sarah Elizabeth Harris, and for her benefit during her natural life.

Item 6th. That all the property embraced in item 5th between the three daughters, or heirs above named, after setting aside three hundred dollars which I give to my grandson Benjamin Howard Boon, to be kept at interest until he arrives at the age of twenty-one years.

Item 7th. I give to my daughter Ann H. Judson, Sylvia a girl.

Item 8th. I give to my daughter Susan Amorette, my old man Jacob to be taken care of so long as he may live.

Item 9th. It is my will that if the property embraced in item 2nd should sell for more than would pay the debts against the estate, out of the residue, my son Lemuel shall receive one hundred dollars, and the balance, if any, to be appropriated, to the farm or lot, or to be placed at interest for the benefit of Nancy my wife.

Item 10th. I appoint my wife Nancy, and Richard G. Carlton executors to this my last will and testament.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this the 16th April 1852.

Augustin Greene

Signed in the presence of 
Reuben S. Callaway M.D.
N. F. Powers, M.D.
A. J. Mathews

Codicil. In addition to the above, it is my wish that, the farm and business thereof be carried on as usual until the close of the present year A.D. 1852.

Item 2nd. And that Benj. F. Greene my son-in-law act as executor with my wife Nancy F. Greene. 

April 19th 1852.
Augustin Greene

Signed in the presence of 
Reuben S. Callaway, M.D.
N. F. Powers, M.D.
A. C. Howard

Georgia, Greene County, Court of Ordinary in Chambers 
June 19th, 1852
Personally came into court Dr. Reuben S. Callaway and A. J. Mathews two of the subscribing witnesses to the within last will and testament of Augustin Greene late of Greene County deceased, who upon oath say that they saw him sign and heard him declare the same to be his true last will and testament and that they each believed him to be of perfect sound mind and memory at the time of his signing the same and that they with N. F. Powers the other witness signed their names in the presence of each other and in the presence of the Testator. 

Sworn to this 19th June 1852. 
Jas. W. Godkin, Ordinary
Reuben S. Callaway
A. J. Mathews

Georgia Greene County, Court of Ordinary in Chambers. Personally came into office Dr. R. S. Callaway one of the subscribing witnesses to the Codicil attached to the last will and testament of Augustin Greene late of Greene County Dec'd and on oath states that he saw him sign said Codicil and that he with N F. Powers and A. C. Howard the two other subscribing witnesses to said Codicil signed their names in the presence of each other and in the presence of the Testator.

Sworn to June 19, 1852.
R. S. Callaway
Jas. W. Godkin, Ordinary.

Reference

Augustin Greenes Will, Georgia, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1742–1992.




(click on images to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment