Friday, December 15, 2023

Christmas table scarf

This Christmas table scarf makes an appearance on my dining room table every year from late November through the end of December. I was recently asked whether I made it, so thought it important to document its origins for my family.

I wish I could take credit for its creation, but no, I did not make the scarf. Instead, it was hand made by a co-worker and dear friend. We worked very closely together for many years and at some point, started exchanging Christmas presents. She was a very crafty person so hers were often hand made. I do not remember the year I received the table scarf, but estimate it was during the early 2000s. The table scarf is 18” x 23” and reversible. One side contains patchwork squares and the other a floral print. All the fabric is some sort of holiday print except for the solid red, green, and ecru pieces, which of course are Christmas colors. I prefer the patchwork side so if you come to my house during the holiday season, that is what you will most likely see on my table. I do not know much about fabric, but if I had to take a guess, would say it is cotton. The scarf, which I consider to be a family treasure, is starting to show some wear. I think about my friend with fond memories every year when I place it on my table. 


3 comments:

  1. That's something that gives me pleasure every December; seeing the large yarn pom-pom candy cane made by my parents, the white-painted brick Santa Claus made by my sister, and other family mementos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why it's important to document their origins! Glad you have these items to remember family with during the holidays. Thanks for reading!

      Delete