Friday, December 29, 2023

Unwrapping Christmas gifts

For this last post of the year, how about a short walk down memory lane before the holiday season ends. I recently found a few more slides to convert and one was the first photo below, taken at our Macon Drive house in Atlanta on Christmas morning 1959. The two men in the photo are my Daddy, Sam Lankford (on the left), and my step grandfather, Hoyt Vest. Hoyt and Granny often traveled from north Georgia to spend Christmas Day with us. Opening the gifts are (from left to right) my sister Bonita (or Bonnie), brother Michael, sister Jennifer, and me. I can read the word STAR on the box Bonnie is opening so looks like she got a pair of roller skates. Michael got a racecar, Jennifer some kind of book, perhaps a coloring book, and my gift looks like a game of some sort, perhaps a mini pinball machine.  

Although there is no evidence of Christmas in the photo above, I remembered sharing another photo of the four of us on this blog which you can see in the photo below. In this photo, we have the same clothes on and you clearly see a Christmas tree behind us. Since there are still presents to be opened, the toys we are holding must have been from Santa Claus. Presents under the tree were not opened until after we had a big breakfast and the dishes done, and Mama and Granny took their sweet time doing both! 


Jennifer, me, and Bonita holding Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment