Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Thomas J. Moore sold Lydia to William Crawford

This post is part of an ongoing project to record names of enslaved people of Greene County, Georgia I find in historical records. 

Georgia, Greene County. Know all men by these presents that I, Thomas J. Moore, of the state and county aforesaid for and in consideration of the sum of two hundred dollars, have this day bargained and sold to William Crawford of said state and county one certain negro woman named Lydia and I do for myself and my heirs hereby warrant and forever defend the right and title of said negro woman Lydia to the said William Crawford his heirs and assigns forever against the claim and demand of all other persons whatsoever as witness my hand and seal this 25th August 1815.

Thomas J. Moore

Thomas Crawford Jr.
Georgia, Greene County. It is understood that in case the said Thomas J. Moore shall well and truly pay the said William Crawford the said sum of two hundred dollars with lawful interest thereon within six weeks from the date hereof then this obligation to be void otherwise to remain in full force and virtue as witness my hand and seal this 25th August 1815.

W. Crawford, Witness

Georgia, Greene County. Personally came before me Thomas Crawford Jr. and made oath that he saw Thomas J. Moore sign and deliver the above instrument and that he subscribed thereunto as an evidence at the same time.

Thos. Stocks, J. P.

Tho. Crawford Jr.
Sworn to before me this 7th day of October 1815.

Recorded 6th October 1815
John Bethune, Clk.

Reference

Greene County, Georgia, Deeds, 1810–1811, 1811–1815, 1816–1818, image 405, www.familysearch.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment