Saturday, August 18, 2012

Katie's letter to Santa Claus

Athens Daily Herald, Dec. 19, 1914

Dear Santa Claus: I wish you would please bring me a doll and doll carriage. My brother has been sick a long time, he had the typhoid fever, he has been sick seven months. Daddy had to spend all of his money for doctor's bill and if you don't bring me something I don't guess I will get anything. My little brother said bring him a stopper gun and a wagon with horses to it. Bring my little sister a doll and tea set, she is 2 years old, her name is LILA MAE LANKFORD. Please don't forget us. I know you want my name, KATIE LANKFORD, aged 9. My brother's name is CLEVELAND LANKFORD, aged 5. Be sure to come to see us.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Katie was the daughter of Wade Hamilton Lankford and Ada Blanche Culbertson. She was born on December 24, 1906 in Greene County, Georgia. She died at age 14 on April 12, 1922 in Athens, Clarke County, Georgia. Katie is buried at Penfield Cemetery in Penfield, Greene County, Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment