Friday, July 27, 2018

Palace Furniture Company and Pepsi-Cola—a colorful combination

The 52 Ancestors theme this week is “colorful.”

For this week’s blog post, I’m taking another opportunity to share some of Uncle Ralph’s slide collection. Ralph Murphy was my husband’s paternal uncle. He took lots of photos during the years 1947 to 1984 and ended up with an extensive slide collection. Several years ago, Aunt Jean gave the collection to my husband. It took a while, but I converted all of them to digital and share when the opportunity presents itself.

The people in the photos above and below are employees of the Palace Furniture Company previously located in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Aunt Jean worked there as a bookkeeper for many years and she’s the only person I can identify. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about the car. Did they belong to the store owners or was there a Pepsi bottling plant close by? And what was the occasion that the women were in the parking lot posing with the Pepsi car? Nevertheless, don’t you love how the color scheme of the dresses and car match! And check out the ad campaign on the car door—an elderly woman slamming her fist on the counter demanding a Pepsi!

Aunt Jean Murphy is the 2nd from the left


I’m not from Clarksburg so don’t know the history of the Palace Furniture Company, but thanks to Uncle Ralph’s slides, I know that Aunt Jean worked there in 1949 when the store celebrated its 50th anniversary. Here’s a few photos from that day.

Cake celebrating 50 years for Palace Furniture
(1899 - 1949)
Aunt Jean in the center




Aunt Jean
    

Aunt Jean on the right




I hope that by posting the photos from the slide collection, someone can help identify the people smiling back at us or either find a photo of a family member that they didn’t have. If you’d like to see more photos from Uncle Ralph’s collection, click on the links below.

Nutter Fort, West Virginia Soap Box Derby

Warner’s Skyline Drive-In Theater

Vintage Christmas photos

52 Ancestors – no. 40: Anna B. Church – (week 24) (Anna (Church) and Everett Evans photos only)

2 comments:

  1. What great photos! Love the 1940s period clothes & cars, and the 50-years-ago period costumes they put on for the celebration! Thanks for sharing, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, Ha, you solved a mystery for me! I've been trying to figure out why the women wore that style of dress and it never occurred to me that they represented 1899! Boy do I feel dumb LoL. Thanks for reading.

      Delete