Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Lucy and Elijah, slaves of Jane Freeman

This post is part of an ongoing project to record names of enslaved people of Greene County, Georgia I find in historical records. 

Jane Freeman’s Will

State of Georgia, Greene County. 

In the name of God, I, Jane Freeman of the county and state aforesaid, being of sound mind and memory and considering the uncertainty of this frail transitory life, do therefore make, ordain, publish and declare this to be my last will and testament – that is to say first after all my lawful debts are paid and discharged, a part of my estate personal, I give, bequeath, and dispose of as follows to wit – to my beloved son Samuel B. Freeman, the following property: a negro woman Lucy, about forty-five years of age, one bay horse colt, three or four years old, oxen and cart, my stock of hogs, all of my corn, wheat, and meat if I have any, one feather bed, bedstead, and furniture, one safe, 4 chairs, exclusive of any equal share of the residue of my estate which I want to be equally divided amongst all of my children, except John F. Freeman, who has been previously advanced to the value of a negro boy Elijah. I want my son Samuel B. Freeman to have the increase or proceeds of the above-named property as long as he lives, then go to his children or lawful heirs, to wit: Sarah, Susan, Elizabeth, Jacob, and Nancy, and I hereby nominate, constitute, and appoint my said trustee Thomas M. Fambrough executor of this my last will and testament.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed my seal, the 24th day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-seven.

Her mark, Jane Freeman

The above written instrument was subscribed by the said Jane Freeman in our presence, and acknowledged by her to each of us, and she at the same time published and declared the above instrument, so subscribed, to be her last will and testament, and we at the testators request and in her presence, have signed our names as witnesses hereto, and written opposite our names, our respective places of residence.

W. A. Partee, Greene Co. Ga.
James W. Findley, Greene Co. Ga.
William C. Martin, Greene Co. Ga.

Reference

Greene County, Georgia, Wills, Book 5, 1840–1877, image 635, www.familysearch.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment