Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Holtzclaw to Holtzclaw: Washington (Wash)

This post is part of an ongoing project to record names of enslaved people of Greene County, Georgia I find in historical records. 

Holtzclaw to Holtzclaw 

State of Georgia, Greene County.

Know all men by these presents that I, John G. Holtzclaw, of said state and county for and in consideration of the natural love and affection which I have and bear to my son, Jesse A. Holtzclaw, of the county of Houston, and state, aforesaid. I have given, granted, and conveyed, and do by these presents give, grant, and convey unto him the said Jesse A. Holtzclaw, his heirs and assigns, a certain negro boy by the name of Washington (Wash) upwards of thirteen years old, of yellow complexion, under the following provisions and restrictions (viz). If from any providential or other cause myself or his mother Lucy M. Holtzclaw should either of us in our old age be reduced to poverty, want or have to depend upon our own manual labour for a good and decent living, then and in that case we or either of us shall have the use and labour of said boy Washington (Wash) during our natural lives, but at our death to revert back and become the property of my said son Jesse A. Holtzclaw, his heirs and assigns forever.

In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 24th December 1858. 

John G. Holtzclaw

Signed, sealed, and delivered in presence of B. F. Greene, A. L. Willis, J.I.C. 

Recorded the 24th day of December 1858. Vincent Sanford, Clerk

Reference

Greene County, Georgia, Deed Books 1852–1857, 1857–1862, image 396; www.familysearch.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment