Wednesday, October 16, 2024

18 slaves named in Joseph Roberts’ will

This post is part of an ongoing project to record names of enslaved people of Greene County, Georgia I find in historical records. 

Greene County, State of Georgia, September 22nd, 1802

Having contemplated on the mortality of man and knowing it is one appointed for man to die, being sound in mind and wishing to dispose of the worldly estate and goods that God hath bestowed on me, doth constitute this my last will and testament after all my just debts are paid and my body laid in the dust. I give unto my eldest son Daniel, one negro named Trum. Also, to Harrod, negro Peter, to Joseph, Ned and Aggy. To John, negro Charles, to Allin, negroes George and Greene. Also, to my eldest daughter Tabitha Irby, Darkis, to Susannah Shelton, negro Aimey, to Sarah Bidell, negro Riller, to Elizabeth Bird, negro Jean, to Polley Roberts, negroes Lucy and Darkis plus increase, to Milley, Vilet and Mary. To Patsey, negroes Dina and Chain, all which I give unto my children as above mentioned to them, their heirs, and assign forever after the death of my wife and me. Also, to each of the girls, a good feather bed, the single girls all other property not mentioned is to be sold and equally divided between all the children living. Old Jinny to go to any of the children, leaving as managers and executors my wife, my sons Joseph Roberts and John Roberts as witnesses, my hand and seal this day and date above written. 

Signed and acknowledged in presence of Jesse Mercer and John Vason.

Joseph Roberts (seal)


Greene County, Court of Ordinary, January Term 1804:

The within last will and testament of Joseph Roberts, Decd., proven in open court by the oaths of Jesse Mercer and John Vason, subscribing witnesses to the same and ordered to record.

Tho. Carleton, C.C.O.

This 29th of January 1804.



Reference

Greene County, Georgia, Wills 1786–1795, 1794–1810, 1806–1816, 1817–1842, 1840–1877, images 203–204, FamilySearch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment