Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Lucy sold to Henry Karr, 1791

This post is part of an ongoing project to record names of enslaved people of Greene County, Georgia I find in historical records. 

Know all men by these presents that, I, Francis Woodward, of Greene County, State of Georgia, have this day bargained, sold, and delivered unto Henry Karr of the County of Greene and State aforesaid, one negro girl named Lucy, about eleven or twelve years old for the valuable consideration of forty-five pounds Sterling to me in hand by the said Henry Karr before the sale and delivering of these presents the Receipt whereof hereby acknowledge and I do by these presents now and forever defend the said negro girl to the said Henry Karr, his heirs or assigns forever from the right claim or title of any other person or persons whatsoever whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 4th day of June 1791.

Francis Woodward

Test
Joseph Cook
John Burton

Recorded this 22nd day of March 1792.
E. Parks

Reference

Greene, Land Records 1785–1793, Enslavement Records 1785–1793, image 528, FamilySearch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment